Thursday, November 8, 2012

How Millennial I Am-Part 1


I was surprised to see my Millennial score.  I predicted it was going to be lower simply because I am still of the 'silent' mindset.  I still believe in using the dictionary and in the value of paper books with a binding; however, I know and understand, that to stay in demand in my career field, I must follow the trends and move along the technology trail.

I was peeking at my results as compared to others that took the quiz and I was surprised by some of those results too.  I thought that owning both a landline and a cell phone would put me in the lower percentage, but according to the stats, the Boomers have it with 81%.

In addition, the fact that I do not play video games, I figured would put me into some prehistoric era.  'No video games' did have my score in the 'silent' range, but I managed to be quite hip with my total score of 89!

My father worked started working for Ma Bell when he was in his early 20's and retired after 40 years of dedicated service.  He began selling phone lines, when that was the new technology.  That technology kept bread on our table and helped to put two kids through college.  The technology grew and my Dad had many promotions either selling the services himself or managing people doing the selling.

However, when AT&T decided it was going to be mandatory for all managers to learn and make use of computers, my Dad decided he'd had just about enough of this technology.  :)

He was at an age where he could 'quit' technology and get away with it.  He'd saved, put his kids through college, owned his home, and successfully managed his household expenses on paper.  He still does to this very day.

I could not get away with it like he has.  We have two young children that know more than I do about technology.  I have to do what I can to keep up with them.  :)

I am pretty proud of my Millenial profile because this whole move to technology hasn't been easy for an old soul like me to become comfortable with.  I must remain vigilant in my pursuit of this knowledge.  I'm still young enough where I'll get left behind.  My career depends on it.

My students think fast when it comes to technology so I have to think faster.  I have to investigate new things to show them.  I love when I do show them something new and someone says that it's cool or tells me they used it for another class.

So with this survey, I've seen that I may be old fashioned but that I am not too old to learn something new.

No comments:

Post a Comment